Joshua Milne PR
Morari Medical Case Study
Morari Medical is an emerging sextech company focusing on men’s sexual health and wellness. The Morari team is leveraging its 75 years of collective experience in urology and sexual health to develop a wearable device-based treatment for premature ejaculation (PE). Morari’s mission is to help men restore confidence and enhance the sexual experience for both partners by eliminating the embarrassment and frustration of PE. Joshua Milne PR was challenged to elevate Morari’s profile in the sextech market via creating a media strategy that would garner coverage and investor attention at the January 2020 CES trade show in Las Vegas.
Beginning in mid-November, Joshua Milne PR created and began implementing an aggressive media strategy to build up to Morari’s exhibit and presentation at CES in January. The creation of the media list and outreach started in November, followed by weekly outreach, with new pitches each time, through mid-December. Concurrently in December, we drafted a press release and reviewed the CES pre-registered media list to further fine tune our approach, with a final big push to media via pitching and distribution of the press release on January 6. Additionally, we drafted talking points and briefing sheets and handled all media requests.
Joshua Milne PR was able to exceed Morari’s goals for media coverage and consumer and investor awareness. Morari received coverage in more than 60 publications, websites, and broadcast outlets, with 14 pieces being syndicated, including CNET, Men’s Health, Pioneer Press, Mashable, and more. In addition to the coverage, the company received responses from men who wanted to be part of the trial study for the product and had multiple requests from investors who were interested in learning more about the company.
• Morari Medical’s New Bandage for Your Perineum Supposedly Fixes Premature Ejaculation: Morari Medical unveiled the device at CES 2020 – Men’s Health – 1.13.20
• Premature ejaculation? A Minnesota tech company wants to zap it away – Pioneer Press – 1.9.20
• Morari Medical Introduces Wearable Solution for Premature Ejaculation at CES 2020 – Askmen.com – 1.6.20
• The guy at CES who just wants to talk premature ejaculation – Engaget – 1.6.20
• CES 2020: Band-Aid for your taint promises to fix premature ejaculation – CNET – 1.7.20
Mass Hemp Coalition Case Study
On June 12, 2019, the Massachusetts Department of Agriculture (MDAR) released a policy
statement regarding the sale of hemp-derived products in the Commonwealth. The statement
puts into place a ban on the sale of certain products and remains vague in many areas, putting
the local Massachusetts hemp small farmer, processor, and retailer at a disadvantage, and
impacting up to 73,000 acres of farmland in Massachusetts. In reaction, several hemp industry
stakeholders got together and formed the Massachusetts Hemp Coalition (MHC), with the goal
of raising awareness of the potential negative impacts of the MDAR policy. The MHC quickly
planned a press conference and lobbying effort to try to help impacted farmers and others.
MHC chose Joshua Milne PR to help craft and execute a media strategy to draw coverage of the
press conference and raise public awareness of the hemp-derived products ban.
Joshua Milne PR used its extensive media expertise to reach out to business, government, and
hemp industry contacts prior to the June 24 press conference to generate awareness of the
issue and encourage attendance at the press event. Before, during, and after the press
conference, Joshua Milne PR reached out to all relevant media contacts to help facilitate as
much news coverage as possible.
Prior to the June 24 press conference, Joshua Milne PR garnered interest in the MDAR hemp
ban from Hemp Industry Daily, as well as The Worcester Telegram, Boston Business Journal,
Masslive, and WBUR Radio. Joshua Milne PR also helped secure post-press conference
coverage from the Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, WBZ-AM, and State House News.
Coverage of the news from MASSterlist and This Week In Weed also syndicated a number of the
articles that had been written. In addition to plentiful coverage of the potentially harmful hemp
ban, the MHC was able to meet with and lobby a number of Massachusetts state lawmakers to
make the case that this ban will hurt many small Massachusetts farmers and businesses. Joshua
Milne PR was integral in helping MHC execute their strategy to try to reverse the ban that
would impact over 30 Massachusetts hemp farmers, processors, and retailers. With more than
two dozen media hits as a result, Joshua Milne PR helped raise public awareness and put
pressure on lawmakers to take another look at the ban.
Modulate Case Study
Modulate is a Cambridge-based startup using revolutionary machine learning techniques to create the world’s first customizable voice skins. Voice skins can be used for online gaming and other applications to customize the sound of your voice. Joshua Milne PR was challenged to help introduce Modulate and its voice skin technology to the tech and business press, as well as to announce its latest round of seed funding.
In a short timeframe of less than three weeks, Joshua Milne PR was able to draft an announcement introducing Modulate and its funding news, gather a list of targeted media contacts, pitch the news under embargo to select, high value media, and then pitch all tech and business press following release of the news. Modulate especially wanted to begin building relationships with Boston-area tech and business journalists, as well as national tech industry followers.
Joshua Milne PR was able to secure exactly the results that Modulate was seeking. Modulate’s news received coverage in more than 30 tech and business news publications, websites and broadcast outlets. News stories covered both the funding, as well as the company and its technology, boosting the visibility of this emerging startup in the business community to attract the attention of more investors and partners. Coverage included a coveted spot in Hiawatha Bray’s tech business column in the Boston Globe, which discussed the emerging company and its unique voice skin technology. Other notable coverage appeared in VentureFizz, WBUR Radio, Kotaku, Crunchbase, VentureBeat, TechRegister, and BostInno.
Spring 2018 Client Successes
During Spring 2018, Joshua Milne PR burned up the charts, producing amazing results for clients and garnering coverage of important events, product launches, and other vital news. Clients included Major League Lacrosse, Military Friends Foundation, Campanda, C3RN, Industria Risk & Insurance Services, and Zelus Beer Company.
Joshua Milne PR crafted unique media outreach plans to suit the needs of each client, including press releases, media advisories, contributed articles, calendar listings, Q&As, broadcast, online, radio, and print interviews. Each plan was carefully designed to draw attention to each client’s important news and drive sales, increase consumer interaction or draw investors.
Joshua Milne PR lived up to its reputation as unmatched experts in placing media coverage and lit up the PR world securing more than 45 media hits in broadcast, print, and online outlets for these clients over the course of approximately three months. Coverage appeared in local and national outlets, as well as important industry and vertical publications, including US News.com, Investor’s Business Daily, The Boston Globe, Boston Herald, AARP, Business Insurance Magazine, Boston Business Journal, and US Lacrosse Magazine.
Just a few examples of the important results for our clients include:
- Zelus Beer Company, a Massachusetts-based craft brewer, experienced a great turn out at its month-long beer garden, thanks to Joshua Milne PR media placements that drove consumers to the site. There was enough interest at the event that the town invited them back to host another pop-up beer garden later in the summer. The coverage also led to Zelus being invited to provide samples at the Boston Marathon Expo before the Marathon.
- Campanda, the world’s largest peer-to-peer RV rental company, expanded its name recognition in the US and established its executives as industry thought leaders through contributed article placements.
- Cannabis Community Care and Research Network (C3RN), a company that specializes in providing high-quality advocacy, research, and education services, continues to raise its profile locally, regionally and nationally.
- Major League Lacrosse, the U.S.-based professional lacrosse league, saw great attendance at its MLL All-Star Game and accompanying events with more than 68 media placements in local, national, and sports media.
- Use Simple, Relatable Stories To Get Your Message Across – Investor’s Business Daily – 6.27.18
- Massachusetts consultant leading research into marijuana on cusp of industry boom – MassLive – 6.26.18
- 8 Things You Can Rent Out for Fast Cash – USNews.com – 6.14.18
- RV-sharing picks up speed as travelers seek to avoid the hassles of ownership – Washington Post – 4.26.18
- Think running the Boston Marathon in these conditions is brutal? Try running four in a row. – Boston.com – 4.16.18
- ZēLUS Has the Perfect Beers for Marathon Runners – NBC10 Boston – 4.13.18
DMSE Sports Classic Case Study
DMSE is a leader in sports event management and the force behind the some of the biggest running events in New England, from the Boston Marathon to the New Balance Falmouth Road Race and the TD Beach to Beacon in Maine. DMSE is also the organizer of the new DMSE Sports Classic at Merrimack College, which was hosting its first event on July 22-23, 2017. The event features a 10K, 5K, and kids’ races, plus a half-marathon, as well as the “Celebrity Mile” that brought local sports figures, media personalities, and other celebrities together to celebrate running and draw interest to the event. DMSE partnered with Joshua Milne PR to help increase the profile of the DMSE Sports Classic, driving participants and spectators, and promoting the success of the event to print and broadcast outlets.
Joshua Milne PR formed and executed a media strategy that included pursuing calendar announcements in local papers, targeting bloggers who cover running, and scheduling radio interviews for DMSE’s David McGillivray to promote the event. The media strategy was designed to provide a steady stream of coverage leading up to the event to drive participation. On the event weekend, the PR team invited reporters and photographers from local media outlets to capture pictures and interviews with the “Celebrity Mile” participants and laud the success of the event. The team also worked to provide David McGillivray with opportunities to speak with various media outlets to talk about the DMSE Sports Classic and promote the celebrities scheduled to attend.
Thanks to the efforts of Joshua Milne PR, the DMSE Sports Classic was a successful, well-attended event that received extensive coverage, both prior to and following the event. Results of the PR team effort included:
- Calendar announcements in print and online media including Boston.com, CBS Boston, Eagle Tribune, and Runner’s World.
- Attendance at the event media from five media outlets, including NECN and WBZ-TV, to film runners and interview “Celebrity Mile” participants.
- A total of five scheduled interviews with print, online, and broadcast media for David McGillvray leading up to the event.
- Print, online, and broadcast coverage following the event, including the Boston Globe, Eagle Tribune, and Patriots.com.
261 Fearless Case Study
Kathrine Switzer is famous in running circles, in part for being the first official female entrant to finish the Boston Marathon in 1967. Switzer has used her storied running career to promote female empowerment, establishing the 261 Fearless foundation to inspire women and girls around the world. After working with Joshua Milne PR during the 2017 Boston Marathon, Switzer chose to partner again with this team to promote 261 Fearless and its mission through the end of the year. Joshua Milne PR developed a strategy of creating experiential events with Switzer to draw attention and new membership to 261 Fearless.
Joshua Milne PR provided Switzer with soup-to-nuts support to implement this strategy by creating, planning, executing, and managing logistics, as well as driving media exposure of the events and of 261 Fearless. The PR team created and hosted events in Boston and in Hopkinton on October 13 and 14, 2017, that drew 261 Fearless members, local dignitaries, B.A.A. officials, and media. The first invitiation-only event, which was in Boston, brought Switzer together with members of 261 Fearless’s Boston chapter, as well as members of local media, for a run. The second event was held in Hopkinton, MA, and was designed not only to promote 261 Fearless but also to thank the town of Hopkinton for all of their support of Katherine over the years since her first Boston Marathon run. This event included members of 261 Fearless Hopkinton, local dignitaries, and senior members of the B.A.A., and featured speeches from several attendees and a run around the new Hopkinton Middle School track. Joshua Milne PR drafted calendar listings and media advisories, reached out to media to get them to participate, and promoted both events through radio interviews and social media outreach.
Thanks to the efforts of Joshua Milne PR, Kathrine Switzer and 261 Fearless enjoyed a weekend of events that drew attention to the organization and its mission and drove interest in new membership. Some highlights include:
- Placed calendar listings promoting the events in local print and online publications
- Secured coverage in a variety of local online, broadcast, and print outlets including the Boston Herald, MetroWest Daily News, HCAM: Hopkinton Television, and Wicked Local Hopkinton.
- Created social media posts for the 261 Fearless Twitter and Facebook accounts that reached thousands across Eastern Massachusetts.
261 Fearless’ 2017 Boston Marathon Case Study
In 1967, Kathrine Switzer became the first woman to complete in the Boston Marathon as an official entrant. Switzer’s run turned out to be an iconic moment in Marathon history after a race official attacked her on the course and tried to pull off her 261 bib number. Kathrine fended off the attack, finished the race, and became an international inspiration to female athletes for her determination and perseverance. In 2017, Switzer returned to the Boston Marathon to celebrate the 50th anniversary of her historic run, mark the retirement of her 261 bib number, and promote women’s empowerment through running via her 261 Fearless foundation. To manage this demanding media opportunity, Switzer and 261 Fearless turned to a small team of PR pros, including Joshua Milne PR, to support media events and manage press demands before, during, and after the 2017 Boston Marathon.
Joshua Milne PR and its partners executed a media plan to support Kathrine Switzer’s 2017 Boston Marathon run, the retirement of her number, and the promotion of her 261 Fearless organization, which included 125 sponsored runners participating in the Marathon. The PR team worked with Kathrine to address the following:
- Incoming media requests for interviews.
- Pitch the 261 Fearless story to local and national reporters.
- Organize a press conference prior to race day to discuss the impact of 261 Fearless.
- Draft press materials for local, national, and international media.
- Coordinate logistics and opportunities with the Boston Athletic Association, Adidas International, and the Boston Red Sox.
Thanks to the efforts of Joshua Milne PR and its partners, Kathrine Switzer’s appearance in the 2017 Boston Marathon was a highly visible press event, receiving positive and extensive media coverage. Results of the PR team effort include:
- A total of more than 40 interviews in a one month window with print, online, and broadcast media at the local, national, and international levels
- More than 380 pieces of local, national, and international coverage on Switzer’s historic run, her number retirement, and 261 Fearless. Over the more than 70 tier one media hits, highlights include NBC News, ESPN, The Boston Globe, Time Magazine, BBC News, The Guardian, and People Magazine.
- More than 15 members of the media attended our press conference on “Good Friday” before the marathon.
Runner’s World Sets the Pace at the Boston Marathon
Runner’s World, the world’s leading running magazine, wanted to leverage its connection to the historic Boston Marathon to raise the profile of the magazine and its editors. As part of this effort, Terry Lyons Sports Marketing hired Joshua Milne PR to provide media relations support for the Boston Marathon. Joshua Milne PR took on the challenge of ensuring that a variety of media coverage appeared in the run up to the Marathon promoting the reputation of Runner’s World and its editors as an unmatched source on information about running.
Joshua Milne PR drafted media advisories, calendar listings and media pitches that were distributed to more than 40 media contacts at print and online publications, as well as at radio, TV and web broadcast outlets. We worked with Runner’s World’s PR team at Rodale to brainstorm story ideas that would resonate with the Boston and national sports business media. Terry Lyons Sports Marketing and Joshua Milne PR created a one sheet titled “How Runner’s World Can Help You,” which provided the media with Boston Marathon-related story ideas to consider and offered Runner’s World staff as expert sources.
• Joshua Milne PR took this project on for the 2014 Boston Marathon and it was so successful, we were asked to help Runner’s World again in 2015 and 2016.
• We pitched Runner’s World editors, including Amby Burfoot, editor-at-large and a former Boston Marathon champion, as well, as David Wiley and Bobbi Gibbs in 2016.
• The majority of articles and interviews secured by the team were expert source opportunities providing tips on running and offering thoughts on the Boston Marathon, cementing Runner’s World’s reputation as experts on informing, advising and motivating runners of all ages and abilities.
• The 2015 campaign included hits in the Boston Herald, Boston Globe, Boston.com, ESPN.com, BostonInno, WBZ-TV, WGBH-TV, WZLX-FM and Boston Herald Radio.
• The 2016 campaign included 36 pieces of coverage resulting in an estimated 1.5 million views and 2,700 social media shares from stories and interviews appearing in outlets including WGBHTV’s “Greater Boston,” NPR’s “Here & Now,” New England Cable News, Associated Press, ABC News, The New York Times, New England Sports Network (NESN) and Boston.com.
The Boston Lobsters Gain Steam in the Local Tennis Scene
The Boston Lobsters, based in Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, and part of the World TeamTennis league, were looking for media exposure to drive traffic and ticket sales for their match play lasting approximately two weeks in July 2015. The Lobsters turned to Terry Lyons Sports Marketing and Joshua Milne PR to tap into their media relations expertise and knowledge and experience with sports marketing and sporting event media coverage.
Joshua Milne PR reached out to local media of all kinds to inform tennis enthusiasts about the Boston Lobsters and their upcoming season using media outreach, interviews, onsite coverage and event listings. Terry Lyons Sports Marketing and Joshua Milne PR drafted media advisories, calendar listings and media pitches to promote the event, reaching out to more than 50 local media contacts at print and online publications, as well as at local TV and radio outlets.
We also leveraged a visit from tennis legend Billie Jean King to drive interest in the Lobsters’ matches, scheduling and staffing a one-day media tour around the Boston area for Ms. King.
During the tournament, Joshua Milne PR provided onsite support, attending matches to help media covering the events, and helping to facilitate interviews whenever possible.
• Joshua Milne PR secured and scheduled 15 print and broadcast interviews during the Boston Lobsters’ two-week season.
• We secured coverage in a variety of local media outlets, including Boston Business Journal, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Newburyport News, Salem News, Sports Business Daily, TennisIndustryMag.com, Boston Central, Baystate Parent, and GateHouse Media’s Wicked Local publications, which include dozens of local newspapers across Massachusetts.
Why You Should Hire Joshua Milne PR
- You are receiving senior-level PR counsel.
- I have primarily focused on securing media coverage for my clients over the last eight years.
- I have relationships with media in a variety of industries at the local, regional and national levels.
- I am thorough and will leave no stone unturned as I research media opportunities, awards, or speaking opportunities for my clients.